Sunday, April 14, 2013

Unsinkable

It is Day 14 of NaPoWriMo and the challenge issued today was to write a persona poem in the voice of a hero or villain.  I stopped and started many times today, struggling to find ideas.

Reading through my news feed (sniff, sniff Google Reader, don't leave me!)  I saw that "this day in history" was "the day before the day the Titanic sunk".  Maybe not as exciting as tomorrow, but it was an idea enough to think of Molly Brown.


Unsinkable

Sailing across the sea on my white star
enjoying her maiden voyage
stopping with a jerk
slamming into a mountain of ice
panicking ensues
directing, aiding, assisting,
deposited in lifeboat number six
insisting,
pleading,
ordering
the rescue of more frigid souls.

Watching my white star that burned so bright,
diving into the breach.
what was one is now two,
what was many is now too few.

-Jenn Mossholder, 31 and 3 Productions

3 comments:

  1. Yesterday was also the day that Marty McFly arrived in when he traveled to the future...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah. I should have waited. "Independent Lens" is airing a pretty cool special on super hero women/strong women...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2013/04/15/177311626/superheroines-fighters-and-why-isnt-there-a-wonder-woman-movie?utm_source=NPR&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20130415

      Delete