Thursday, May 2, 2013

All's quiet on the poetry front...

Aside from NaPoWriMo concluding and the gorgeous Spring Pennsylvania is (finally) having I have not been blogging.  I also started a book club (in my spare time) ;)

I started taking kickboxing.  (This is not about to turn into a weight loss/health blog - I hate them.)  I do want to share my story a little though.

I was always always always the underweight skinny kid.  I barely broke 100 pounds in High School even with all the Aqua Net.  I am 5'2" and have a fairly small frame.

Fast forward to 2013, I have had two pregnancies resulting in four daughters, my eating habits never changed from my 20's and, well, now you have a woman who is wearing a size she never thought she would.  Seeing a reflection that is alien.  That is purely aesthetics, I guess.

My daughters are really rather precious to me and I don't want them to be without me or get the wrong message about diet and exercise.  I am changing my language to "healthy" versus "thin".

I never exercised when I was younger because I didn't have to.  Working out was to lose weight, not stay/become healthy.  Well, now I am overweight and becoming unhealthy.  I have 5 bulging discs in my spine, fibromyalgia, and today I received the gift of a blood pressure medication.

I need to get serious.

I have, in the past two weeks, started to take, of all things, kickboxing.  If you knew me, this is quite a hilarious picture.  I am sore.  I am sweaty.  I am unhappy.

However, I am unhappier that I weigh too much, which is causing my hypertension and the joint pain to be worse.  I am becoming motivated.  It is tough work and the class is so intense I pretty much don't care I am dripping sweat, huffing and puffing and beating the crap out of a canvas target.

I have been going back.  I have poor follow through when it comes to "exercise".  I hate to say, for fear of jinxing myself, but I think I may like the class.  I have a brain that never shuts off.  I have no choice in this class BUT to think about breathing and punching.  That is all I am able to keep in my noggin.  There is no room in there for anything else when I am there.

I hope I stay with it or find another activity to guide me to health and the body I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment